Developing solutions and delivering specialist advice to growers
With projects throughout the UK, the ADAS Horticulture Field Vegetable Team comprises technical consultants who work with a wide variety of crops and cropping systems.
- Crop nutrition
- Pesticide efficacy
- Crop safety
- Novel cropping systems and organic growing
- Modelling and pest forecasting; ADAS Cutworm Prediction Service
- Advisory service
- Crop walking
- Growing media, crop nutrition and analysis interpretation
- ICM planning and implementation
- Pest, disease and weed management
- Biological pest and disease control
- Pesticide application best practice
- Pesticide use, legislation and resistance management
- Plant growth control; cultural and chemical
- Bespoke spray programmes
- ADAS Vegetable Technical Notes issued monthly
- Bennison Jude, Lole Mike, Pope Tom, Maher Heather, Maulden Kerry and Watling Martyn (2010). What happens to the predator Atheta coriaria when inundatively released in the field for biological control of cabbage root fly? IOBC/wprs Bulletin 56, 17-20.
- Huckle A and Creed C. (2016) Weed control in Rhubarb. AHDB Factsheet 27/16
- Huckle A, Mayne S and Creed C (2016) Rhubarb downy mildew. AHDB Factsheet 26/16
- Huckle AJ (2016) Can cover crops aid weed suppression in horticultural crops? The 53rd BCPC Annual Weed Review - Changing practices: improving weed control. November 2016. Presentation
- Huckle AJ (2017) Courgette Herbicide Screen -2017. UK Cucurbit Grower Association Meeting. August 2017. Presentation
- Huckle AJ and Atwood J. (2015) Baby leaf lettuce herbicide screen 2014. AHDB Studentship conference. Poster
- Huckle AJ and Weightman R (2016) Nitrogen and phosphorus recommendations for optimising yield and quality of sweetcorn. AHDB factsheet 14/16
- Huckle AJ and Weightman, R.M. (2014) Nitrogen responses of sweetcorn grown for the fresh produce market. International Fertiliser Society Agronomic Conference. December 2014.
- Huckle AJ, Atwood J, Tatnell L, Richardson A, Knott C, and O’Neill T (2011) Solutions to the loss of active ingredients for weed control in field vegetable and fruit crops. Joint meeting of the European Weed Research Society working groups, weed management systems in vegetables and weed management in arid and semi-arid climates. Presentation
- Wedgwood, E. (2016). Management of celery leaf spot. Update to Factsheet 09/04. AHDB Horticulture.