Asbestos is currently the largest cause of occupational disease in the UK, with over 3500 deaths each year. The Health and Safety Executive has now identified the group most at risk of developing disease as those in the construction and allied trades. The redevelopment of brownfield sites clearly poses a risk in terms of exposure to asbestos. RSK, ADAS’ parent company, provides solutions for total asbestos management: from the identification of asbestos materials, through the design of systems to manage the risk, to providing advice and managing asbestos removal works. The asbestos team comprises specialist surveyors and consultants who can work in partnership with clients to ensure that all legal requirements are met, along with high standards of health and safety.
Early and effective consideration of asbestos issues is vital in ensuring the smooth running of any redevelopment project to secure the safe demolition of structures and excavation of ground works, the protection of workers and the correct disposal of waste. Asbestos discovered part way through a project could significantly delay progress, and uncontrolled disturbance of asbestos, for example through soft stripping or demolition, can lead to the exposure of employees, contractors and the general public, and generate vast quantities of waste contaminated with asbestos material.
Surveys: United Kingdom Accreditation Service (UKAS) accredited to conduct asbestos surveys (management surveys, and refurbishment and demolition surveys); our surveyors have years of experience working on a wide variety of sites
Sampling and analysis: UKAS accredited to both sample and analyse materials suspected of containing asbestos. RSK operate their own accredited laboratories.
Preparation of policies and procedures: Vast experience of designing systems to manage asbestos, both standalone and integrated into organisations’ existing management systems
Project management of asbestos removal works: Full service spanning tender preparation and review, interviewing contractors, site inspection and monitoring works, and post-works completion reports
Air monitoring and clearance testing: UKAS accredited to undertake air sampling, site perimeter monitoring, fibre counting and four-stage clearance testing
Auditing: Due diligence, legal compliance and system compliance audits. These identify areas of strength and weakness and provide clear recommendations for the actions required.
Training: A range of asbestos awareness and asbestos management courses presented by tutors with a wealth of experience. These can be tailored to clients’ requirements.
Expert witness: Expert reports for consideration by courts or tribunals in connection with litigation or arbitration
Computer-based management solutions: Asbestos register and risk management software designed to enable storage and retrieval of data and active management facilities, such as a calendar for condition monitoring inspections and a status list of recommendations.
- National Trust: Total asbestos management, including asbestos surveys; an Internet-based asbestos management database; advice on asbestos removals; and incident response
- National Grid: Supervision of asbestos removal works at two major operational substations, including reviewing method statements, monitoring works and extensive liaison with the site occupiers
- Transport for London: Full asbestos management service across the property portfolio, including surveying, project management of removal works, air monitoring and clearance testing
- Metropolitan Police: An extensive portfolio of properties that require management and refurbishment surveys and an ongoing re-inspection programme. Their consultancy service also covers various air tests and audits following removal works and frequent face-to-face meetings.
- Coventry City Council: An ongoing relationship with Coventry City Council over eight years for consultancy services covering refurbishment, demolition and management surveys of its property portfolio. In addition, we carry out air monitoring and four-stage clearance procedures.
- Legacy Hotels: Extensive project management of asbestos removal works at a hotel in the Cotswolds. RSK had a full-time site presence supervising the removal works and provided frequent updates and guidance on project progress.
- Property development companies such as Taylor Wimpey, Bellway Homes and Banner Homes
- Major energy and utilities companies, including Grain LNG, BP, National Grid and United Utilities
- Large multisite manufacturing concerns, including UTC Chubb and British Vita
- Public and voluntary sector organisations such as the National Trust and Warwickshire and Essex county councils
- Commercial organisations such as Ramada Jarvis, Pizza Hut, Tesco, TNT and Reed Recruitment
- Educational institutions such as Coventry and Warwick universities
For further information, please contact:
RSK: Abbey Park, Humber Road, Coventry CV3 4AQ, UK ·
Tel: +44 (0)24 7650 5600
Mel Fox email@example.com
Jenny Victory firstname.lastname@example.org
Mark Hilsdon email@example.com