Goal 13: Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts
Climate change is one of the most significant, yet overlooked issues facing mankind. Projected increases in the frequency and severity of extreme weather events will cause widespread displacement and disruption to many businesses and their supply chains, particularly those that rely on the natural environment for their products or services.
Example impacts include:
- More intense rainfall events can lead to river and surface water flooding causing the spread of pollution and damage to products and assets.
- Wind, rain and heat damage to infrastructure such as roads, rail networks and energy supplies can cause disruption across both local and international supply chains.
- Heatwaves can lead to heat stress for outdoor workers, livestock and crops.
- Coastal flooding to businesses from storm surges will be exacerbated by sea level rise.
- Warmer, wetter winters can impact pest and disease survival rates.
- Changing rainfall patterns can have implications for water resource management.
Climate resilience is the capacity to anticipate, prepare for, respond to, and recover from significant climate threats. Businesses can improve resilience to climate threats on their workers, the environment and security of supply through implementing adaptation measures.
ADAS conducts applied research for retail, supply chain, private sector and government clients on climate change resilience and risk management. We help our clients understand which parts of their agricultural businesses or supply chains are most vulnerable to harm and form strategies to address the risk and improve resilience.
Activities conducted by our specialist consultants include understanding climate hazards and extreme weather impacts through a climate change risk assessment (CCRA); quantifying and prioritising areas of most risk; identifying appropriate adaptation measures and developing strategies to address risk; and monitoring and evaluating climate change action plans. Our research and consultancy expertise in climate change and the agri-food industry, including crop and livestock production, allows our consultants to expertly quantify the risks.
We are well placed to understand and advise on the threats and opportunities that extreme weather events may present to your business. Through identifying and implementing plans and adaptation measures, your business can mitigate the impacts from unexpected events both locally and globally, thus increasing security of supply, sustainability and business resilience.
Senior Climate Change Consultant, Sustainable Food and Farming
+44 (0) 1902 271241