We are experts in crop nutrient management. We work with our clients to deliver resource-efficient and profitable crop production systems throughout the UK.
Our team of FACTS (Fertiliser Advisers Certification and Training Scheme) qualified researchers and advisers have expertise in nutrient management for all arable, field and protected horticulture, and grassland crop production systems. Our field-based research on macro (e.g. nitrogen, phosphate, potash, sulphur and magnesium) and micro nutrient supply continues to influence industry-standard fertiliser recommendations (e.g. AHDB Nutrient Management Guide RB209, SRUC Technical Notes etc.) and associated software systems (e.g PLANET, MANNER-NPK etc.).
Resource-efficient nutrient management is key to meeting the challenges of sustainable intensification. We are at the forefront of the drive for innovation and are working closely with government, levy boards and industry clients to increase nutrient use efficiency and crop yields, whilst minimising the environmental impacts of crop production.
Our crop nutrient management expertise includes:
- Improving nutrient (macro and micro) use efficiency
- Innovation in fertiliser use efficiency (e.g. urease and nitrification inhibitors; slow-release products etc.)
- Improving the use of organic material nutrients (e.g. livestock manures, biosolids, compost, digestate, paper crumble etc.), including the development of innovative treatment practices
- Integrated use of organic materials and manufactured fertilisers
- Controlled release fertilisers, liquid feeding and foliar feeding; soil and substrate media
- Advising growers on legislative requirements to minimise nutrient losses to the environment and crop contamination
- On-farm advice including nutrient management plans, manure management plans, crop quality and regulatory compliance
- Diagnosing crop nutrient-related disorders