Developing solutions and delivering specialist advice to growers
With unparalleled experience (in excess of 100 years!) in the horticulture industry, the ADAS Horticulture Fruit Team delivers research and comprehensive agronomy services to the soft fruit, top fruit, rhubarb and cane fruit sectors, providing advice on crop production systems, IPM planning and implementation, crop protection, crop safety and pesticide legislation.
The team works closely with a network of associate consultants and academic institutions, collaborating where appropriate, on research projects.
- Integrated pest and disease management
- Application and management of biopesticides for efficacy and reliability
- Variety trials
- Crop walking
- ICM planning and implementation
- Growing media, crop nutrition and analysis interpretation
- Pest, disease and weed management
- Biological pest and disease control
- Crop production practices
- Quality assurance, including development of bespoke QA schemes
- Pesticide use, legislation and resistance management
- Bespoke spray programmes
- Expert witness services
- Bennison, Jude; Brown, Sam & Boardman, Kerry (2017). A ‘little and often’ system for application of entomopathogenic nematodes for vine weevil control. IOBC/wprs Bulletin 124, 88-94.
- Bennison, Jude; Pope, Tom; Maulden, Kerry (2011). The potential use of flowering alyssum as a ‘banker’ plant to support the establishment of Orius laevigatus in everbearer strawberry for improved biological control of western flower thrips. IOBC/wprs Bulletin 68: 15-18.
- Messelink, G., Bennison, J., Alomar, O., Ingegno, B.L., Tavella, L., Shipp, L., Palevsky, E. & Wackers, F. (2014). Approaches to conserving natural enemy populations in greenhouse crops: current methods and future prospects. BioControl 59(4), 377-393.
- Pope, T., Gundelai, E., Elliot. R., Blackshaw, R., Hough, G, Wood, A., Bennison, J., Prince, G. & Chandler, D. (2015). Recording the movement of adult vine weevil within strawberry crops using radio frequency identification tags. Journal of Berry Research 5, 197-206.
- Saville R, Berrie A.M., Fitzgerald J.D., Jay C, Roberts H., Wedgwood E., Xu X.-M., Cross J.V. (2013) Minimising pesticide residues in strawberry through integrated pest, disease and environmental crop management. IOBC-WPRS Bulletin Vol. 91, 431-438.
Meet the team