Closing Date - Open
Location: England or Wales
Salary: Negotiable depending on experience
Background to ADAS
ADAS is the leading supplier of independent technical, environmental and business advice to the UK’s farmers and growers, land managers and related organisations. We provide a wide range of specialist consultancy services to corporate and private businesses, undertake leading-edge research and deliver knowledge transfer and advice programmes on behalf of government and industry organisations.
We are looking to recruit a motivated and ambitious livestock specialist to work primarily on delivering and expanding our range of consultancy projects for the poultry sector. The role would involve working within our well-established livestock consultancy group and would be based in England or Wales on either a full time or part-time basis.
Purpose of Job
The successful candidate will work as part of a group of livestock consultants, which includes poultry specialists. The role will mainly concentrate on our poultry consultancy work, operating within a sector that is technologically advanced, highly efficient and which has been expanding due to increased UK consumption of eggs and chicken. Technical training will be provided to a suitable livestock-orientated individual with limited poultry experience to date. The successful candidate is likely to have or to develop transferrable skills which will be applied periodically for projects focusing on other livestock sectors, particularly cattle and sheep.
Within the role, there will be involvement straightaway in gathering information and drafting reports. This is likely to include some visits to farms and other premises in support of our current consultancy projects.
The applicant must be able to travel throughout England and Wales and may occasionally be required to travel to Ireland and elsewhere for short periods of time. After initial training has been given, visits are likely to be conducted on a solo basis.
The successful candidates will work with a wide range of farming and corporate businesses, retailers, representative organisations and government bodies. The emphasis will be on good communication skills, preparing written material, handling data and being able to present information to clients and groups. Over time, the consultant would be expected to prepare bids for new livestock consultancy projects and to identify opportunities for new business, either individually or as part of a group.
- ADAS requires its employees to demonstrate energy, responsibility and curiosity, which lead to the delivery of results. In addition to these general attributes, applicants will need to demonstrate/ possess the following:
- Hold a degree or a postgraduate qualification relevant to livestock, or a related degree (e.g. in another science subject) with relevant practical experience.
- Be able to demonstrate excellent report writing skills using MS Word and to handle data using MS Excel.
- Willingness and ability to work as part of a team.
- Ability to understand and communicate verbally and in writing in a clear and concise manner in English.
- Good computer literacy with the ability to use the full suite of Microsoft office programs.
- Full driving licence and own transport.
- Flexibility in the range of work undertaken.
Other Desirable Attributes
- Knowledge of the following points would be desirable:
- An understanding of poultry production practices in the UK and other livestock systems.
- A broad appreciation of the issues facing the UK livestock sector and the changes likely to occur in future.
Salary and benefits
- Negotiable depending on experience
- Contributory Pension Scheme and Life Assurance
- We encourage Continuing Professional Development
- A flexible benefits programme including the option to buy additional holidays and private health care.
We operate an open and relaxed management culture that nurtures continuous improvement and innovation. This also enables us to achieve a staff turnover rate that's consistently below the industry average. Adopting a proactive growth strategy helps us to run a sustainable and profitable business while providing new and exciting career opportunities for all.
As an entrepreneurial organisation, we encourage and foster the growth of our employees. When joining RSK, a mentor works with you to ensure you set and achieve your goals. We want to accelerate your professional development, including opportunities for a promotional fast track. Further, retaining staff is the building block of a successful organisation. As a company, RSK wants to ensure you maintain a healthy work-life balance, with many opportunities for flexible working hours, locality flexibility, social activities, and community involvement projects.
The company prides itself on providing its staff with a rewarding and challenging career, encouraging Continuous Professional Development, allowing employees to reach their full potential. Having been recently placed within the top10 UK environmental consultancies (Environmental Analyst, December 2017) and number 42 in the Sunday Times Fastrack 200 which rates the success of private companies in the UK, there has never been a more exciting time to join.
How to apply
To apply for this position please visit the RSK Group careers portal and click ‘apply’. A personal online account will be set up so you can review the progress of your application. If you require any additional information about the role please contact Lisa Hallington, HR Advisor on +44 (0)7384 212094 or email email@example.com.
All candidates applying for positions with RSK Group must be eligible to work in the UK. Candidates should confirm this when applying with their CV and covering letter. RSK is committed to our Corporate Responsibility strategy. We seek to minimise our impact on the environment; to engage positively with the community and education groups; to provide a safe and supportive atmosphere in which to work; and to promote Corporate Responsibility throughout our supply chain.
RSK Group is an Equal Opportunities Employer
For more information about ADAS and the RSK Group visit www.adas.uk and www.rskgroup.com