Closing Date - Open
Location: Milton Park, Oxfordshire preferably but flexible options considered
With over 75 years’ experience, ADAS has an amazing track record of providing environmental consultancy and research expertise to an enviable range of clients both in the private and public sector. We are a recognised and highly respected leader in the environmental and rural sectors.
ADAS has been acquired by the RSK Group Ltd which is one of Europe's leading multidisciplinary environmental consultancies and is ranked number 42 in the Sunday Times Fast Track 200 which rates the success of private companies in the UK. There has never been a more exciting time to join.
Our success is founded on the talent of our employees, so we recognise the importance of personal growth, encouragement and earned rewards. As a company, we want you to share in our achievements and we want to be a conduit for your success.
Our Landscape team at Milton Park is well established and provides high-quality advice for all types of developments from the initial feasibility stage through to construction. ADAS is a Registered Practice with the Landscape Institute. As a result of our success in this area, we have a vacancy for a Landscape Consultant to join a growing team of professionals who work closely with colleagues in other disciplines, such as Planning, Ecology, Arboriculture and Archaeology and the wider RSK group.
Currently, we are operating remote working for many of our office-based employees and this is expected to evolve into a blended working arrangement when restrictions enable this. The role would be based with the rest of the landscape team in Milton Park, Oxfordshire. We would be open to candidates based in another ADAS office primarily Bristol, Cambridge and Leeds, but would consider the right candidate from other locations with the UK. Both full and part time candidates would be considered.
The role would primarily be landscape, but we are specifically looking for those highly skilled multitalented landscape architects with a specialism in other environmental disciplines.
Although a multi-disciplined landscape architect is desirable, a very strong solely landscape architect candidate would be considered.
To primarily deliver landscape based projects in a friendly, supportive and client focussed environment where much of the work relates to landscape and visual assessment, strategic green Infrastructure studies with some design work. This will involve:
- Carrying out landscape and visual impact assessments and opportunities and constraints work, particularly relating to housing and energy developments under the guidance of the senior members of the team. It will be necessary to work flexibly with regard to type of work, timing and location.
- Carrying out desk studies, consultations, research, data management and analysis and report writing, liaising with clients and statutory bodies as necessary.
- RSK Group is an Equal Opportunities Employer
- Assisting in the delivery of landscape and other requested input into Environmental Impact Assessments (EIA) and planning applications.
- Assisting in the delivery of Landscape Research and Strategic Green Infrastructure studies.
- Designing mitigation schemes for developments and undertaking other design projects from sketch scheme to detailed construction drawings.
- Preparing landscape implementation and management plans.
- Managing small landscape and other contracts, liaising with internal and external deliverers, third parties and clients.
- Supporting sales activities to meet team sales targets, to include building good client relationships, preparing proposals, assisting with tenders and working on sales initiatives.
The role would primarily be landscape, with a specialism in other environmental disciplines which might include experience in one of the following:
- Ecology: Carrying out protected species surveys and monitoring, undertaking phase one surveys, natural capital assessments and Ecological Clark of Works (ECOW) along with associated reporting. Holding protected species licences and membership of CIEEM would be an advantage.
- Arboriculture: Carrying out BS5837, NJUG and tree risk assessments and Arboricultural Clark of Works (ACOW). Holding a Professional Tree Inspection (PTI) certificate would be an advantage.
- Master planning / urban design: Carrying out site design of small to medium size residential and commercial developments. Being a member of the Urban Design Group would be an advantage.
- Planner: Production of pre-app planning statements, planning states, design and access statements, planning appraisals and consultation responses for local planning authorities. Being a member of or working towards chartered membership of the Royal Town Planning Institute would be an advantage.
- Archaeology / built heritage: Producing archaeological written schemes of investigations, carrying out archaeological watching briefs and producing fieldwork reports and archiving for small-scale projects. Experience of undertaking setting assessments and Conversation Area appraisals would be an advantage with accreditation, with the Chartered Institute of Archaeologists or the Institute of Historic Buildings Conversation would be desirable.
Successful landscape candidates will:
- Efficiently undertake landscape and visual impact assessments and landscape opportunities and constraints reports ensuring that work is delivered on time, meets the project profit target, and is delivered to the clients’ satisfaction.
- Write reports concisely, prepare plans and accurately carry out desk studies, consultations, research, data management and analysis, liaising with clients and statutory bodies as necessary.
- If CMLI produce landscape sections of Environmental Impact Assessments and planning applications, accurately following the guidance given, to conform with legislation and EIA guidelines.
- Assist in the production of Landscape Research and Strategic Green Infrastructure studies.
- RSK Group is an Equal Opportunities Employer
- Demonstrate creativity and technical competence in design schemes, including good horticultural and ecological knowledge and awareness of sustainability criteria.
- Use AutoCAD and Adobe Creative suite with a high level of technical competence to produce plans, sections and construction details. Although not essential, knowledge and experience of GIS would be an advantage.
- Build professional relationships with colleagues, using good communication and organisational skills, working co-operatively to deliver projects on time and within budget.
- Help to achieve team sales targets through building good client relationships, undertaking sales activities such as writing proposals, assisting with tenders and working on sales initiatives.
- Able to clearly communicate with clients and colleagues, providing clear and honest advice and landscape matters.
- Strong interpersonal skills to work collaboratively together with a project team to contribute to the delivery project work.
- Experience in both fieldwork and desk work in undertaking Landscape and Visual Impact Assessments and/or Landscape and Visual Appraisals.
- Proficient photography skills including a good understanding of manual photography.
- Experience in design including detail landscape construction and planting plans.
- Experience in Landscape Research, Strategic Green Infrastructure and Landscape Capacity / Sensitivity studies although not necessary would be an advantage.
- Experience in the other environmental disciplines (ecology, arboriculture, master planning, planning and historic environment) as listed above. Although this is desirable a very strong solely landscape architect candidate would be considered.
- High technical competence in AutoCAD and Adobe Creative Suite particularly Photoshop and InDesign.
- Proficiency in GIS and KeySCAPE would be an advantage.
- Be a Chartered Member of the Landscape Institute (CMLI) or be on the Pathway to Chartership.
- A willingness to learn new skills through project related training and continuous professional development.
- A valid CSCS card (e.g. professionally qualified person) is desirable.
- A full driving licence will be required as will the need for flexible working with regard to type of work, timing and location.
Salary and benefits
- Competitive salary
- Contributory Pension Scheme
- A flexible benefits programme including the option to buy additional holidays and private health care
- Regular training and career development
- Support with the Pathway to Chartership
As an entrepreneurial organisation, we encourage and foster the growth of our employees. When joining ADAS, a mentor works with you to ensure you set and achieve your goals. We want to accelerate your professional development, including opportunities for a promotional fast track.
Please apply through the RSK career portal.
We operate an open and relaxed management culture that nurtures continuous improvement and innovation, adopting a proactive growth strategy helps us to run a sustainable and profitable business while providing new and exciting career opportunities for all. The company prides itself on providing employees with a rewarding and challenging career, encouraging Continuous Professional Development and enabling them to reach their full potential. Listed as being in the top 3 environmental consultancies and listed in the Sunday Times PwC Top Track 250, there has never been a more exciting time to join.
Further, retaining staff is the building block of a successful organisation. As a company, ADAS wants to ensure you maintain a healthy work life balance, with many opportunities for flexible working hours, locality flexibility, social activities, and community involvement projects.
The company prides itself on providing its staff with a rewarding and challenging career, encouraging Continuous Professional Development, allowing employees to reach their full potential. Applications are being reviewed as received and successful candidates invited for interview and all candidates applying for positions with RSK Group must be eligible to work in the UK. How to apply To apply for this position please visit the RSK Group careers portal and click ‘apply’. A personal online account will be set up so you can review the progress of your application.
The RSK Group is committed to our Corporate Responsibility strategy. We seek to minimise our impact on the environment; to engage positively with the community and education groups; to provide a safe and supportive atmosphere in which to work; and to promote Corporate Responsibility throughout our supply chain.
RSK Group is an Equal Opportunities Employer